Eating Tips to Improve Strength and Endurance
Fuelling your body with a small snack or a light meal before your cross-training and boxing classes will help improve your strength, endurance and recovery.
WHY eat before a workout?
o Gives your body quick access to energy to use for lifting heavier weights and moving faster.
o Helps you last longer i.e. improves your endurance!
o Prevents you from feeling light headed and nauseas.
o Prevents you from feeling fatigued after your workout.
WHEN to eat before a workout:
o For an early morning workout – small snack at least 30mins beforehand.
o For a mid-morning workout – breakfast at least an hour beforehand.
o Lunch time workout – breakfast in the morning, then a small snack at least 30mins beforehand.
o Afternoon workout – breakfast in the morning, lunch 1-2 hours beforehand.
o Early evening workout – breakfast in the morning, lunch, then a small snack at least 30 mins beforehand.
WHAT to eat before a workout:
Carbohydrates are your primary source of energy for your workouts and a small amount of protein will assist. Have meals and snacks that contain foods like:
o wholegrain bread
o brown rice
o handful of dried fruit
Don’t forget to drink plenty of water!
Being dehydrated will only make you feel light-headed and fatigued!
We’ve also uncovered the link between our diets and mood here.
Check out this week’s pre-workout snack, which will help improve your strength and endurance in your cross training and boxing sessions!
Serves: 16 Time: 25mins Cost: $7.75 approx. ($0.48/serve)
• 300g dried apricots
• 250g desiccated coconut
• 100g pumpkin seeds
• 3 eggs
1. preheat oven to 140oC.
2. place apricots, coconut and pumpkin seeds in a food processer until mixed (if you do not have food processer you can crush the pumpkin seeds and finely chop the apricots).
3. Transfer mixture into a large mixing bowl.
4. beat eggs and stir into mixture.
5. place mixture onto your bench or a large chopping board.
6. press mixture together with your hands to roughly form a rectangle shape. Use a rolling pin to flatten to approx. 3cm thick.
7. use a bread knife to slice into 16 bars.
8. place bars onto baking tray and bake for 12-15mins, until they start to golden.