Ten Simple Ways to Improve Sleep
Sleep plays a vital role in our health and well-being. Getting quality sleep contributes to healthy brain function, which means improved capacity for learning and better decision making. It also really benefits your mental health and emotional well-being so you are less moody and better able to cope with change and life’s stresses.
Physically, you body’s immune system relies on sleep to stay healthy. A lack of sleep can contribute to a host of physical ailments including increased risk of strokes, high blood pressure, fighting off infections and weight gain! So yes, sleep is a big deal and you need plenty of it to stay healthy!
At Live Life Get Active, our mission is to help you live happier, healthier, fitter lives – and that means finding ways for you to get quality shut eye.
Get a Better Night’s Sleep
Here are our ten simple ways to help you go to sleep faster for a better night’s sleep.
- Cut the Caffeine – Caffeine can help to keep you awake. It’s best to stop drinking it four to six hours before you plan to go to sleep.
- Don’t Sleep Until You’re Tired – Laying in bed trying to go to sleep is annoying. If you don’t feel tired in 20 minutes, get up and go sit in another room. Turn on some soft music or read until you feel tired.
- Get on a Sleep Schedule – Try going to bed and waking up at the same time every day. This will help your body’s natural clock to get a routine, and you’ll fall asleep faster.
- Eat a Light Evening Meal – Eating heavy foods before bed can lead to an upset stomach and trouble sleeping. Eat dinner at least a few hours before bedtime and snack on something light like fruit before bed.
- Avoid Napping – A daytime nap can make problems when you try to go to sleep at night. It messes up your sleep schedule. If you do have to nap, nap early and for 20 minutes or less.
- Don’t Bring Electronics to Bed – Your phone or computer’s blue light can keep you awake. Your body won’t be able to make the sleep hormone and it’ll make it harder to fall asleep.
- Keep Your Room Cool – You want the temperature in your room to be between 16°C and 18°C. This will make it cool enough for you to sleep deeper and more comfortably.
- Clear Out any Clutter – A full room can make it harder to fall asleep. The fewer things you have in your bedroom, the fewer problems you’ll have when you try to fall asleep.
- Consider a White Noise Machine – If you don’t live alone, you may go to bed with other people still awake. A white noise machine can help block out any sounds that may stop you from falling asleep.
These simple tips can lead to a deeper and more restful sleep. You may find yourself falling asleep faster, staying asleep longer, and waking up ready to take on the day.
But wait! We forgot number 10!
Number 10: Do a Quick Workout
Exercise is a natural way to fight several problems that can lead to trouble sleeping. Block off 20 to 30 minutes each morning for a short exercise routine to help fight common health problems like depression and anxiety.
Or better yet, join us at a FREE ACTIVE CAMP near you…
Check out the links below for more information.
Where are Live Life Get Active Camps held?
We have Active Camps at a number of cities and regional areas around Australia – see our locations page for more details.
More camps are opened each month, so follow us on Facebook to keep up to date.
Do I need to sign-up?
Yes, you need to register with Live Life Get Active.
You must also book in for every session you want to attend.
I’m having troubles when registering, can you help?
If you cannot complete the sign-up process, please contact our Help Desk to resolve the issue.