Cooking Healthy Takeaway Food for Men
Unfortunately, gentlemen, you are at higher risk of developing certain diseases including heart disease and some cancers, compared to women. Heart disease is the biggest killer in Australia. Other than being a man, unhealthy eating and being overweight are some of the biggest risk factors contributing to heart disease.
Hidden nasties in your favourite foods
Too many foods high in refined grains (white flour), fat, salt and sugar are of the biggest culprits affecting your risk for heart disease. One place all of these nasties are hidden in large amounts are in your favourite pre-packaged food and takeaways – burgers, pizza, fries, burrito’s etc.
Making these foods at home, will serve you as a saviour for yours and your families health!
Benefits of homemade ‘takeaway meals’
- Consume up to half the amount of kilojoules
- Cut the fat and salt content in half
- Add lots of vegetables and fibre
- Cut out added sugar and preservatives
- Eating something that’s actually beneficial to your health!
Try these tips for making your favourite takeaways at home!
Serves: 4 Time: 25mins Cost: $16 ($4/serve)
400g chicken mince
½ sweet potato, grated
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
¼ cup Greek yoghurt
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
squeeze lemon juice
1 tomato, sliced
low fat cheese, 4 small slices
Spinach, 1 cup approx
Wholegrain roll, sliced in half or portobello mushrooms
salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 160°C (fan forced oven)
- Prep: grate and slice vege and rolls
- Patties: Mix mince, sweet potato, parsley, egg. Season with salt & pepper
- Form into 4 patties
- Place patties on Grill pan (or bbq) on medium heat, cook for 7minutes
- Sauce: mix yoghurt, dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper
- Flip patties, cook for another 7mins
- Place rolls on oven tray, place a slice of cheese & tomato on bottom half of roll
- Cook in oven for 5mins
- Assemble your man burgers: bun with cheese & tomato, spinach, pattie, sauce
Use Portobello mushrooms in replace of wholemeal bun for a lower carb option. Precook for 10mins in oven.
Add grated carrot or zucchini to the patty for extra vege!
Book a FREE 45-minute session today, register here!