Chicken Quinoa Casserole
WITH Sarah McCarthy
A one-pot wonder and the ultimate comfort meal. This one is filled with chicken breast (lean protein), quinoa (wholegrains), black beans (legumes) and a whole lot of vegetables, amazing for your heart health. It’s perfect for meal-prepping for the week too!
- 300g chicken breast
- 1 onion
- 1 green capsicum
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 400g black beans, drained
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1.5 tbsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups of water
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 200g low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Add quinoa and water to a saucepan. Bring to boil and then lower to low and put on the lid. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Small dice onion, garlic, capsicums, and chicken.
- Heat up olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and capsicums and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced chicken, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sauté until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and drained black beans. Let the mixture come to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Stir in quinoa and Greek yogurt. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before topping with chopped coriander. Serve hot and enjoy!