Greek Marinated Chickpea Salad
WITH Sarah McCarthy
A Mediterranean-style dish with bright and fresh flavours, packed full of antioxidants from the variety of colourful veg. This recipe works as a side dish or a main course. For a side dish, it will serve 8. A great light lunch or dinner meal to pair with a piece of lean steak or fish cooked on the BBQ. Or use this as a dish to take for a dinner with friends and family this Summer!
- 800g chickpeas (2 cans, drained)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
Quick Pickled Onion
- ½ red onion (finely sliced)
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 250g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 3 cups spinach (sliced)
- 100g feta
- ¾ cup chargrilled capsicum (drained and sliced)
- Mix pickled onion ingredients in a bowl, set aside for 30 min until onion is wilted. Drain.
- Shake dressing ingredients in a jar.
- Place chickpeas in microwaveable bowl. Toss with half dressing.
- Microwave 1.5 min stirring every 30 seconds, until warmed through. Set aside for 20 min to marinate.
- While waiting for the pickled onions and chickpeas to marinate, assemble the salad. Add spinach to bowl, add marinated chickpeas, tomatoes, pickled onion and capsicum.
- Pour over remaining dressing, toss well. Crumble feta to serve