5 Tips To Get You Back on the Healthy Eating Bandwagon

Sometimes, you jump ‘on and off the bandwagon’ when you’re dieting, stopping then restarting restrictive diets and creating strict rules around eating. You should know that there is no perfect way to eat, nor is there a ‘magic diet’. Instead, you should think about this ‘bandwagon’ as an opportunity to reset and establish daily habits to live a healthier, happier life. 

It’s inevitable that, on your health journey, you’ll end up eating foods that don’t support your goals; however, this is 100% okay! It’s all about moderation and still enjoying life working towards reaching your health goals. Don’t let one event set you back or define your journey.


Make A Plan

Maybe you’ve heard the quote; ‘those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail.’

Writing down what you plan to eat for the week and buying the groceries gives you a head-start in aligning your eating habits with your goals. Creating this as a part of your weekly routine will help you establish healthier eating choices, and you’ll never have to wonder ‘what’s for dinner?’


Meal Preparation

Sometimes we choose to eat the easiest (but perhaps not the healthiest) foods because they’re the most available at the time. Preparing your meals and snacks in advance helps you avoid the temptations of higher-energy foods (that your body isn’t necessarily craving) by providing readily-available, healthy options. It helps prevents excess snacking, and takes the stress out of those days when you just don’t feel like cooking!

Don’t Cut Out The ‘Bad Foods’ 

Try to avoid cutting out ‘bad foods’. Hint: ‘bad foods’ are a myth! Restricting ‘bad’ foods, like chocolate, chips, pizza and burgers will heighten your desire for them. When you have a heightened craving for these foods, due to restricting them, you’re more likely over-indulge and eat more than you normally would. It’s all about balance.

Make 80% “Perfect” Your Goal 

You’re more likely to reach your goals if you’re enjoying your life at the same time. Your consistent, daily eating choices make a much larger impact on your health than the occasional treat. Implement the goal of choosing foods that reward your body and health 80% of the time. The other 20% can used for indulging and enjoying life – like having a slice of cake at a party, having a drink with friends, or just enjoying a dessert.

Learn Your Triggers

This is an important step to help you not fall in to the ‘on and off the bandwagon’ lifestyle.

Try to think about situations where you felt out of control with food. Think deeply about the scenario – had you eaten enough beforehand? Were you restricting foods, leading to overconsumption? Or was it, for example, in the afternoon, when you were sitting on the couch and got a craving for a bag of chips? Perhaps this is a habit that you have learned to associate with that time of the day or environment; making you crave potato chips whenever you kick back to relax.

Try to identify if it’s a particular time, place – or even person – that makes you feel out of control or stressed, leading to overeating. Start to write these scenarios down, and you will soon identify a pattern, helping you understand your triggers. A lot of triggers can often be from not eating enough food and protein in the morning, which can cause cravings later in the day. If you’ve been missing your morning meals, check out our White Chocolate & Raspberry Overnight Weetbix recipe for a balanced breakfast that tastes like a treat!

Live Life Get Active is building a fitter, healthier and happier Australia and we want people to have fun along the way. With the help of Local Government and Corporate Australia we provide FREE health, fitness and nutritional education both online and in the parks, suburbs and cities of Australia.