Turmeric Chicken & Chickpea Bowl
WITH Jazmyn McKinnie
Dinner/Lunch • 40 mins • Serves: 4 • Cost: $18 approx. ($4.50/serve)
- 4 chicken thighs (400-500g)
- 2 cups brown rice (microwave packet or home cooked)
- 700g pumpkin
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- juice of ½ squeezed lime
- 1 can chickpeas
- 4 TBSP natural or Greek yoghurt
- extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper
- Prepare rice as per packet instructions.
- Preheat oven to 180o‑c fan-forced.
- Dice pumpkin into bite sized pieces then place on baking tray.
- Drizzle pumpkin with olive oil, season with salt & pepper then bake for 30mins, turning half way through.
- Dice onion, cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil on a pan, low-medium heat.
- Sauté onion for 1 min.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon then fry off for 1 min (might need a dash more oil).
- Add chicken, cook on medium heat for 8-10mins.
- Add cooked pumpkin and rice, chickpeas, lime juice then cook for 2 mins.
- Take off heat and stir through spinach.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt .