Red Chicken Curry
WITH Sarah McCarthy
This meal highlights the fact you can recreate your favourite takeaway meals at home, however a healthier version. This meal is packed full of fibre from the rice and vegetables, protein from the chicken and tastes as delicious as if you ordered it from your local restaurant. You’re keeping the flavours you love, but packing the meal full of nutrients to keep your body fuelled and happy.
- 6 tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp ginger (finely grated)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400mL light cream
- 400g chicken breast (sliced)
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 1 capsicum (sliced)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- ½ broccoli (chopped)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup water
- 250g cooked brown rice or basmati
- Fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Heat half of the oil (1 tbsp) in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from the pan.
- Add other half of oil (1 tbsp), curry paste, garlic, ginger and onion and cook for about 2 minutes so it "dries out".
- Add cream.
- Add water and stir to dissolve paste.
- Add vegetables, stir. Cover pan with the lid and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Do a taste test. Add more cream or curry paste depending on your taste preference.
- Take the lid off the pan and simmer until sauce reduces and is at the thickness you want.
- Add chicken to the pan, stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve over rice, garnished with fresh coriander.