WITH Sarah McCarthy
Dinner/Lunch • 40 Minutes • Serves: 4 • Cost: $16.50 ($4.13 Per Serve)
A pub-style parmigiana made in the comfort of your own home. This recipes shows how classic “unhealthy” meals can be made healthy from home. Frying in olive oil provides healthy fats.
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves
- 1 cup Passata
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheese
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 eggs
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan forced. Place chicken breast between two sheets of baking paper. Pound with a meat mallet (or rolling pin) until about 2cm-thick.
- In a shallow bowl, add plain flour. In a second shallow bowl add a pinch of salt and the egg, whisk until combined. In a third shallow bowl, place panko breadcrumbs.
- Toss chicken into the flour to coat, then egg mixture to coat, and then into the breadcrumbs. Transfer to a plate.
- In a large frying pan, heat enough olive oil to coat the base over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, cook chicken until golden, 2 minutes each side. Transfer chicken to a lined oven tray.
- Top each piece with two spoonful’s of the tomato passata, then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, and chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mixed salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat.
- Serve chicken with salad.