WITH Sarah McCarthy
Dinner/Lunch • 3 Hours • Serves: 4 • Cost: $18.00 ($4.50 Per Serve)
A traditional braised beef casserole with thick, rich gravy and chunky veg. An easy, one-pan dish to serve at your next dinner party. Also a hearty Winter meal to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- 2 celery sticks (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs (leaves picked)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef stock cubes (crumbled)
- 850g stewing beef (cut into large chunks)
- 2 potatoes (chopped)
- Heat oven to 160C and put the kettle on.
- Put celery sticks, onion, carrots, bay leaves and thyme in a casserole dish with oil and butter over stove on medium heat, soften for 10 min.
- Stir in plain flour, followed by tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and crumbled beef stock cubes.
- Gradually stir in 600ml hot water, then tip in 850g stewing beef.
- Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and put in the oven for 2hrs 30 mins, until meat is tender.
- Uncover and add potatoes, add water if needed.
- Put lid back on, cook for 30mins – 1hr more until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Garnish with the picked leaves of the remaining thyme sprig.