How to Make Fruity Christmas Tree
This week we have a fruity Christmas tree that can be used as a refreshing (as well as nutritious) addition to the Christmas table. Also, it looks super impressive…in a rustic homemade kind of way.
Constructing this Christmas tree is a fun activity for the kids to get involved in!
Follow our step by step instructions below to create your own Fruity Christmas Tree Masterpiece!
What you will need:
The tree base:
- 1 medium sized apple
- 1 medium sized carrot (the straighter the better)
approx. 3 cups of mixed fruit
- kiwi fruit
- star shaped cookie cutter
The Tree Base
- slice off the thicker end of the carrot just enough so it is flat.
- cut a toothpick in half and insert the pointy end into center of the sliced carrot.
- slice the bottom off the apple just enough so it sits flat on a surface.
- slice the top off the apple just enough so it is flat, then place the carrot on top of the apple, digging the toothpick into the centre of the apple.
- use a mango or any type of melon
- slice your fruit of choice about 2cm thick – make sure the slice is big enough for your star cookie cutter to fit over.
- press the cookie cutter into the fruit slice
Wallah, you have your star!
Decorating the Tree
- chop all fruit into small pieces (approx. 2cm x 2cm), you may need to chop smaller pieces as you make your way up the carrot.
- if using strawberries, chop off the ends (you may need to chop more off as you make your way up the carrot).
- cut a bunch of toothpicks in half – keep the ends with the point only.
- cut another bunch of toothpicks about 1/3rd of the way up (you will need shorter sticks as you go up the carrot) – make sure you keep the ends with the point only.
- insert the longer toothpicks around the apple, approx. 1.5cm away from each other.
- do the same with the carrot using the shorter toothpicks.
- start plunging the fruit onto the toothpicks, evenly distributing the colours.
- once you have made your way around the tree, you can fill in any of the gaps by inserting more toothpicks and smaller pieces of fruit.
- insert your star into the tip of the carrot using a toothpick.
Wallah you have your edible Christmas tree!