Beat that Toxic Belly Fat!
Having a 6-pack is unrealistic for most of us. However, it is important we have a healthy waistline, as too much belly fat is dangerous to our health.
Why is Belly Fat is Toxic?
Belly fat wraps around your important organs like your heart and kidneys. This fat is not just sitting there like fat stored around other areas of the body. Belly fat pumps toxic chemicals throughout the body increasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some cancers. The more belly fat you have, the higher the risk!
How can I keep belly fat away?
Healthy eating and regular exercise is the best way to keep your belly fat at bay.
- Begin your day with a healthy breakfast
This will prevent your body going into starvation mode where it starts to store fat!
Breakfast will keep you full and help prevent that 3 o’clock cookie monster!
- Fill up on fibre
Wholegrains, fruit and vege have lots of fibre which keep you full.
Fibre also does special things inside your body that help lower the risk of developing those diseases.
Aim for 25–30g fibre per day. This looks like: ½ cup wholegrain cereal, 2 slices wholegrain bread, 2 pieces fruit, 1 cup vege, 1 cup salad and a handful of nuts.
- Eat lean protein
- Fish, chicken, low fat dairy products, eggs, chickpeas and nuts will help keep you full.
- Protein helps build muscle which helps burn fat.
Don’t forget that eating lots of processed sugary, fatty and salty foods will feed that belly fat!
Check out this yummy recipe with 10g of fibre for a healthy start to your day to keep that belly fat at bay!
Layered Overnight Oats
Serves: 4 Time: 5mins Cost: $2.50 ($0.63/serve) approx.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 cup low fat Greek yoghurt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup frozen berries
- ¼ cup nuts and seeds of choice
- mix together oats, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl
- mix in milk
- spread berries evenly over oat mix
- spread yogurt evenly over berries
- sprinkle nuts and seeds on top
- place in fridge over night