Eggs & Avocado on Sweet Potato Toast
WITH Jazmyn McKinnie
Breakfast • 30 mins • Serves: 2 • Cost: $8.20 ($4.10/serve)
Eggs are a good source of protein important for maintaining muscle mass, Avocado is high in healthy fats, important for brain health and nice skin as well as a good source of potassium, for lowering blood pressure. Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C and carotenoids which helps to keep skin supple and smooth. Broccoli is high in antioxidants which keep your immune system strong and your body functioning well.
- 1 small – medium sized sweet potato
- 4 eggs
- ½ avocado
- pinch of Paprika
- 30g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped.
- ½ head broccoli
- 250g tomatoes (either quatered or whole cherry/cocktail tomatoes)
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- pinch of chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180oC (fan-forced).
- Slice the ends off the sweet potato, then carefully slice the sweet potato lengthwise into approx. 1cm thick slices (or toasts).
- Place sweet potato toasts on one end of a baking tray (leaving room for broccoli and tomatoes later), drizzle over olive oil and sprinkle over paprika.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Slice broccoli into small bite sized pieces. If using large tomatoes, slice into quarters.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven and flip them over onto their other sides. Add the broccoli and tomatoes to the tray. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tray on the lower level in the oven and set timer for 10 mins and bake.
- Get a muffin tray, crack each egg into a muffin slot, add 1 TBSP water on top of each egg. Place the eggs on the top level of the oven (above the veggies) and bake for the remaining 7 minutes left on the timer.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado in a bowl, squeeze in lemon juice, add salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Spread the avocado evenly over the sweet potato toasts, then place the eggs on top. Serve alongside roasted broccoli and tomatoes. Sprinkle over chilli flakes and toasted walnuts.