Cajun Fish with Rice Salad
Recipe and Health Benefits
Nutritional benefits of ingredients
Fish and beans are high in protein, good for maintaining muscle mass which improves strength and mobility. Rice and beans are high in fibre which feeds your good gut bacteria so they can help with your immune system, brain function, blood sugar control and weight maintenance. Broccoli is high in antioxidants which help to protect your body and keep it functioning well.
Ingredients and Method
Serves: 4 Time: 25mins Cost: $20 approx. ($5/serve)
- 4 white fish fillets (eg. basa or barramundi)
- 2 TBSP Cajun seasoning (or see below how to mix a homemade Cajun seasoning)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or a packet of microwaveable brown rice to save time)
- 1 broccoli head
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes
- ½ bunch fresh parsley
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- blanch the broccoli: boil kettle, chop broccoli into thin (1cm) slices, place in boiled water, leave for 2 mins, then rinse with cold water. Put aside.
- roughly chop sundried tomatoes, finely chop parsley, rinse kidney beans.
- mix cooked rice with broccoli, sundried tomatoes, parsley, beans, pinch of salt & pepper. Stir through olive oil and lemon juice, put aside.
- heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium to high heat on a fry pan.
- dip fish fillets in Cajun spice.
- Pan fry fish 2-3 mins each side.
Serve with rice salad!
Homemade Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper