10 Tips for Staying Healthy during the Silly Season
Summer is here, the festive season is here, and this usually means one thing – lots of celebrating with lot’s of food!
Christmas treats are definitely to be enjoyed. But, it is also important that we eat healthy around the festivities, so we feel good from the inside out and stay strong and healthy!
Check out our top tips for keeping balance during the silly season
1..Maintain a normal healthy eating routine
It’s important to fuel your body with healthy, whole and fresh foods around all of the festive events to maintain good mood and energy levels.
2..Keep your kitchen stocked up with healthy & fresh food
So you have access to healthy food around the busy festivities – e.g. yoghurt, wholemeal bread, brown rice, hummus, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds.
3..Always make veggies the biggest part of your meal
If you’re at a restaurant, family or friends get together, picnic, Christmas party or work function – always fill most of your plate up with veggies before serving everything else.
4..Take advantage of the refreshing summer produce
Fill your meals up with berries, melons, stone fruit, cucumbers, tomatoes and green veggies (check out this week’s recipe!).
5..Stop and think before going for your second serving
Listen to your body, are you eating because you’re hungry? or are you eating because it’s there?
6..Don’t go to Christmas functions starving
If you’re starving and surrounded by lots of canapes, a buffet or any type of festive feast, you will be more tempted to overload your plate and overeat. Having a small healthy snack beforehand will help regulate your hunger levels.
7..Stay hydrated – with water, that is!
Remaining hydrated will help to prevent you from ‘thinking’ you’re hungry and over eating.
8..Go easy on the booze
It’s definitely the time of year to enjoy a drink or two, but try to drink slowly and mindfully. Have a glass of water in between each drink.
9..Keep up your exercise
Try not to let your exercise slip off the agenda, make the extra effort to go on regular walks in between the festivities to help manage your weight and mood.
Try to get at least 7 hours sleep every night to help manage your hunger levels and mood – lack of sleep can make you feel hungrier than you need to be and crave unhealthy, high energy foods.
Check out this week’s summer themed healthy recipe to hit that sweet spot!
Grilled Peaches with Ricotta Yoghurt Cream
Serves:4 Time: 15mins Cost: $7.00 approx. ($1.75/serve)
- 4 peaches
- ½ cup ricotta
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yoghurt
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- handful of pistachios, roughly chopped
- handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Slice peaches in half and remove the pit.
- Brush the cut side of the peach with olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan on medium heat.
- Place each peach on grill cut side down – grill for 3-5 mins (riper peaches may need less cooking time).
- brush the backs of the peaches (now facing up) with olive oil.
- Turn peaches over and cook another 3-5 mins.
- To make the cream, mix together ricotta, yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve peaches with a dollop of the ricotta cream, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of pistachios and fresh mint.